Miyerkules, Oktubre 17, 2007

Still OK with Sid / 90% Migrated

Ok, I updated the distribution to Sid and everything's still working. I did not break anything as it turned out. I got new functionality to boot. Samba got installed with the upgrade so I can browse other (Windows) computers in the office. The Plantronics headset is also installed with new drivers. Those are a couple of things I noticed so far.


I am about 90% done with my migration to Linux. Good thing that our application runs on Java so it's OS-neutral. I was able to test the product and it works fine. Unfortunately, the softphone component only runs in Windows so I can't use that one functionality.


The only thing that's not working now is my Webex meetings. According to webex, linux is supported as long as you have Java 5 and Firefox 2. I believe I have both, correct version and all. One thing though, I do not know if webex makes a distinction between Iceweasel and Firefox. Iceweasel is essentially firefox without the non-free components. I can start webex meetings but when it's preparing the meeting manager, it always gets stuck at 62% no matter how long I let it load.



If I can use Webex in Linux I will only need to reboot to Windows if I want to play a game.


Investigating...

2 komento:

Colonel Panic ayon kay ...

Yes, it is now 2008, and I am running Iceweasel on Debian 'Etch' and I still can't run WebEx...

victagos ayon kay ...

Hi. Thanks for passing by. I have an update on this. I was able to run Webex after upgrading my Java runtime environment to 1.6. I'm using Iceweasel and Debian Sid.