Letting Go: "
What’s at Risk: Failure to let go could…
· Lead to a subsequent disabling, chronic or unexplainable sense of loss.
· Foster the development of unhealthy attachments, to living in the past.
· Delay consideration of new possibilities.
What’s Possible: Letting go…
· Allows us to better handle the grief caused by the loss/change.
· Helps us, following a loss, face the uncertainty of the Neutral Zone.
· Gives us a chance to grow in new ways.
· Allows us to more aptly consider the new possibilities in the Neutral Zone.
Suggestions for Letting Go:
· Develop a clear picture of what is actually going to change.
· Be honest about what you are really losing, including losses that are obscured by the obvious loss.
· Allow yourself time to grieve.
· Discern ways to compensate for the loss.
· Define clearly what’s over and what’s not.
· 'Mark' or celebrate the ending.
· Honor the past rather than denigrate it.
· Give yourself a piece of the past to carry forward.
· Be open to new understandings and values connected with the new beginning you are transitioning to."